Georgetown Speedway Track History
Georgetown Speedway, a half-mile dirt oval located in Southern Delaware, was built by Melvin L. Joseph and has a long history of owners. The initial race took place on March 18th 1950. Joseph operated the track through 1954. In 1955, Charlie Herbert took over ownership and operated it through 1963. During the Herbert years, the track was called Delaware Speedway although locals still referred to the speedway as Georgetown. Also, Herbert began to operate a dragway with the overrun of the dragway being the dirt track.
The track sat idle for eight years until Jim Geary re-opened the track in 1971. With Geary at the helm in October 1976, Georgetown Speedway ran a special event against the Super Dirt Week show in Syracuse and logged one of the largest crowds in the history of the speedway. Geary relinquished the keys to the track in 1978 and Tony Donfrio took over from 1979 through 1982. The Delaware Racing Association led by George Reed held races at Georgetown in 1984 until 1988. Walt Breeding and Harold Wingate promoted races at the Sussex County oval from 1989 till 1995. When Al and Bunny Williams ran the track (1998-2000), they renamed the facility Seacoast Speedway and created a quarter mile track as well.
In 2004, Lou Johnson and six investors re-opened the track and brought back the Georgetown Speedway name. Johnson and his team stopped operating the track in 2007.
Since July 2008, Delaware businessman Jay James has operated the Georgetown Speedway by hosting several yearly events including Big Block Modifieds, Super Late Models and URC Sprints.